For many, the holiday season is a big deal – a time to gather together and enjoy good food, great company, and wonderful memories in the making and those of yesteryear. Some of these memories can help us acknowledge traditions and honor those who are no longer with us. And, most importantly, the holidays are a time to make new memories of joyful occasions.
Whether your seasonal festivities will be simple or elaborate, there are some thoughtful ways to can spend this time with loved ones. Here are some of our favorite ideas for creating holiday memories to cherish for many years to come.
Creating Meaningful Holiday Memories
Holiday memories don’t have to come with a high price tag or even a lot of time. The important thing to remember is the fun, and for each family member that might be something unique and personal to them. Here are some ideas to get you and your loved ones started.
- Watch holiday movies together. Nothing is as memorable as watching the classics, from It’s a Wonderful Life to Rudolph. With each new generation, it just gets better.
- Create a Christmas video. Remember the old projector and film reels your grandfather used to dig out of the attic every holiday season? Why not make your own lasting family moments with a holiday video of the events of the year?
- Connect over cooking. Baking cookies, preparing for the evening feast, or simply cleaning up after a delicious meal can give you plenty of time to catch up with loved ones. Sharing stories and laughter is a great way to make new memories and reminisce about the old.
- Volunteer together. Giving of your time and talents to an organization you care about is an amazing way to help a deserving cause and carve out meaningful moments that are sure to last.
- Go look at the lights. Driving the neighborhood to look at all of the holiday lights is a time-honored tradition. You can even make it a healthy one by parking and walking through a favorite neighborhood or park.
- Sing carols. If you have a big enough group of willing singers, caroling is a fun way to share the holidays.
- Make cards to send. Those who are in nursing homes, hospice, or stationed overseas in the military love to get personalized cards and letters. This is a special way to cultivate good tidings and memories.
- Make a memorial yule candle or ornament. Think about those departed and design something for the tree or mantel to honor their presence.
- Get a holiday portrait done. Whether this is with Santa or a beautiful backdrop, a family photo is enduring and great to look back on over the years.
- Take a road trip. Does your family like to travel? Maybe somewhere snowy? Take to the roads and enjoy the gifts of new scenery.
- Go on an adventure. Try a challenging hiking trail together or form a flag football team. Gather the neighbors for a family friendly scavenger hunt. Participate in a holiday marathon. There are many ways you and your family can do something exciting with the time you have this season.
- Relax and enjoy. One of the biggest ways we can form those lasting memories is by slowing down and spending time together. And, the best part is that it is free.
What are some of the ways you and your family celebrate the season? What are some traditions or rituals you include that are important to you? We’d love to hear about your best memory-making activities and events.
From all of us at Miller Funeral and Cremation Services, we wish you a memorable season and very happy holiday.